?

Log in

No account? Create an account
entries friends calendar profile my webpage Previous Previous Next Next
Fixing the bike, day 1. - Tina Marie's Ramblings
Red hair and black leather, my favorite colour scheme...
skywhisperer
skywhisperer
Fixing the bike, day 1.
After an unexpected bit of off-roading back in October, my fairings had ceased to be in serviceable condition. The left side was definitely broken. I never did decide if the front was actually broken or if I just had a bent bracket, and the right side had scratches from previous drops.

The plan was to strip the fairings, put on the headlight, upgrade the springs, and replace the bent handlebars. Today was my first day when I had all the parts in the garage, and was healed enough to use my wrist without serious pain.

I started by opening all the parts boxes that had been piling up in the garage. The first problem was finding out that I really should have read the email they sent me when the parts were shipped - that would have been the email that said "One of your headlight brackets is on backorder and we'll ship it when we get it". So I started out knowing I was missing one part.

The side fairings were already off and all the wires were disconnected. I pulled the last two bolts out of the nose fairing and put it in the pile of fairings. I figured the handlebars were next.

After some puzzling about just how to get them off, I pulled up the parts manual to discover those were caps covering bolts holding down the handlebars, not carriage bolts as I'd assumed (no wonder I couldn't find the nuts on the back!). #5 here. One of them self-destructed before coming off, and the other three all got dinged. Those were my first unexpected parts. While I was at it, the bolts below them were corroded (#4 in that diagram), so they get replaced too.

Taking off the handlebars turned out to be a mistake, because when I then went to remove all the things that were connected to the handlebars, it would have been nice if they'd still been attached to something. As I was, I had to grab a helper to hold them occasionally. I should have taken everything off them first, then removed them.

The left side came apart with a minimum of drama. My shining moment of the day was when I was trying to get the grip off the left side, and it wouldn't budge, even after I'd wiggled a screwdriver under it. I lifted it up a bit with the screwdriver, stuck the red tube of a can of WD-40 in the gap, and squirted. 15 seconds later, it was off. In retrospect, since I was replacing the grips anyway, I probably could have just cut it off.

The right side wasn't so easy. The throttle came off without problems, but I discovered that the plastic under the grip was broken. #1 here. I see how that part disconnects (there are tiny set screws), but didn't actually take it off, because I wasn't sure how I was going to mark the cable to get it back in the right spot.

I got the old grip off the throttle-plastic-piece, but it seemed to be glued down in a few spots. It's going to require a trip to Cycle Gear forGrip Glue.

Next, the master cylinder. This was the worst so far. This was what the bolts looked like when we finally got them out:

Yes, they're stripped in the middle and badly corroded on the ends. Worse, the threads in the master cylinder are bunged up too, so that has to be replaced. The brake line is also not looking its best - I was going to leave it to avoid needing to bleed the brakes, but since I have to replace the cylinder, I see stainless steel lines in my very near future.

I'm confused by the corrosion. The bike's only a few years old, and it's only ever parked in covered parking at work and garaged at home. And it's not just the GS - my boyfriend's FZ6 also has puzzling corrosion in places I wouldn't have expected it. Yes, this is Houston, but we're nearly 80 miles from the coast!

Anyway, finally the bars were off. Next I pulled #7 from here. In retrospect, I think that was a mistake. I think I could have pulled the entire triple clamp off as one piece, and those are going to be terrible to put back in. Besides the torque that was on them to compress the rubber bushings, they had some sort of one-time-use locknuts. Yep, more parts to order. I pulled them initially because I couldn't get a socket to sit down on the main bolt, and I thought it was because the top section was interfering with the socket, and I thought I could get a better shot at it with the handlebar-holding assembly out of the way. That turned out not to be the problem - the problem was that I was trying to fit a 21mm socket on a 22mm bolt.

The caps off the springs were next. They came off without a problem, we got the washer and springs out with a magnet. I was going to do the really-really lazy version and leave the fork oil alone, but it looks awful. I didn't have any fork oil, and Cycle Gear was closed, so I just plugged them for now.

Next step was the rest of the triple clamp, which came off like a breeze once I sent the boyfriend to the store for a 22mm socket (and truffles.)

And then I called it a night, since I'm now blocked on a lot of parts.

(And, yes, my Hayes manual is, you guessed it, also on backorder. Yes, I understand the importance of torque settings, and I'm not going to put stuff back together until I get the manual so I can torque things correctly).

Tags:
Current Mood: tired tired

Leave a comment